Sunday, September 27, 2009

"Sweet as, bro" taken to a new level

Last week, I got a link with a message that said, "You HAVE to watch this video..." and it was a video of Dane Moeke, a contestant on New Zealand's popular karaoke competition, Homai Te Pakipaki (loosely translated as clap your hands/put your hands together/applause)

After watching the video, the thing that amazed me the most was not only his singing skills but the mere sight of his outfit on NZ national TV! A plain white tee, a hoodie and a pair of white jandals (aka Japanese slippers, flip flops, sandals, etc)!














Maori Television doesn't allow embedding of the video due to copyright, click on the link to watch the video and be amazed of the laid back-ness of his overall look (albeit Dane needs some training but I do think he can sing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUZbvVvSCM

I guess the beauty (and amazement?) of it all is that this is yet another demonstration of the Kiwis being super laid back ala their country motto, "sweet as, bro" where anything and everything goes (also read my previous blog on the NZ PM). He really looks like he just had dinner with his family at the takeaway shop and went straight for the show! 

As the saying goes, "There's no place like New Zealand" - literally, I don't think there is any other country/TV show that would allow jandals on the set!

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against jandals. I think I have 5 pairs? (hey, I'm a tropical girl!) I guess there's a time and place for every pair of shoes, you know? My favourite and most trusty pair of jandals has been with me for the past 3 years....they last a long time :)











Photo: Havaianas 


Well, I hope Dane Moeke wins the competition 'cos this is his 3rd time trying and he looks like a sweetie pie. My vote goes to him! Hopefully, with that cash prize he can go buy a pair of shoes. 


1 comment:

yiqin; said...

Mmhmm havianas